The Faculty of Architecture and Design is one of seven faculties at the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (hereafter abbreviated as STU, from Slovak “Slovenská technická univerzita”). It is the largest and oldest school of architecture in Slovakia; the beginnings of architecture education date back to the academic year 1946/1947 and are associated with the study field called Civil Engineering.
The Faculty of Architecture and Design today is a creative and competitive institution with open-minded staff and successfully exploits international cooperation possibilities in research and education. Especially through the Erasmus Plus mobility program, the faculty offers exchange possibilities with more than 50 partner institutions all over Europe. Annually dozens of students of the FAD study abroad as well as international students arrive to study at the FAD. At the same time, 29 international students came to study at the FAD.
Lecturers at the FAD are outstanding personalities who are not only teachers and researchers; most of them are active practicing architects, town-planners or industrial/product and graphic/brand designers. The obtained prizes and awards, as well as recognition and contacts going across the borders of Slovakia, are the best proof of their qualities.
Apart from national experts, FAD STU has also been inviting visiting lecturers from abroad: Jan Gehl, Marco Casagrande, Nathalie de Vries (MVRDV), Rainer de Graaf (OMA), Jenny B. Osuldsen (Snohetta), Patrik Schumacher (Zaha Hadid Architects) are just some of the numerous significant foreign experts and personalities of contemporary architecture who have visited the Faculty so far. The Faculty’s international involvement is reflected by membership in international organizations and participation in multinational projects in Slovakia and abroad.