International Colloquium and Workshop
and the Prospects of its Revitalisation “
B a n s k á Š t i a v n i c a, September 21 – 29, 2007
Context of the international colloquium and students’ workshop:
The current state of the historical complex is a consequence of the absence of public interest to the fortune of one of the most beautiful Calvary complexes in both
Many publications about the
The international workshop for university students and their teachers as well as the international colloquium for experts shall react to the very acute need to revitalise and conserve the Baroque Calvary complex as well as to the actual need to develop capacities of students in cultural heritage preservation and their understanding of the fact that cultural heritage preservation is an interdisciplinary problem.
- To perform an on-site research including a territorial and architectural survey of the
- To confront the present state of the
- To elaborate a detailed study comparing the present state of the site, its architecture, decorations, furnishing as well as its spiritual meanings and message with the former life of the Baroque Calvary complex.
An experts‘ examination of the challenges - making also use of the results and findings of the workshop – a search for possible perspectives, further steps to take in the process of its safeguarding, and for an outline of the future especially towards a management plan for the site with regard to its specificities.
- To issue a publication entitled „The Calvary in Banská Štiavnica and its revitalisation prospects“ in form of a detailed confrontation study outlining the vision of its possible revitalisation process;
- To emphasize the multidisciplinary character of cultural heritage preservation and restoration issues.
21. 9. - 27. 9. 2007 – international and multidisciplinary workshop for students and teachers (ca 20 students and 10 teachers):
-- Survey of the current state of the
-- Documentation of the current and original art and craft decorations of the chapels and churches (students of history of art and conservation-restoration);
-- Research into the current spiritual state of the sacral complex and into its original and possible future use (theology students).
28.9. - 29. 9. 2007 – International Colloquium:
We expect that experts from
The colloquium is intended to bring together relevant experts - architects, preservationists, art historians, conservators-restorers, theologians as well as representatives of local and state authorities.