Topic of academic year 2019/2020:
Bratislava 2050 - Reducing the carbon footprint of the city
16.9.2019 – Actual concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere: 409,20 ppm. Concentration a year ago: 405,50 ppm. Normal concentration: 350 ppm.
Excessive consumption, individualistic behavior, uncontrolled use of renewable resources, climate change and biodiversity loss are becoming the most serious problems of our time. Merely the construction sector is responsible for almost 40% of global carbon dioxide emissions.
Is it still possible to stop this negative development? What should the necessary changes look like? How can the design of the cities help and what can potentially bring change in architectural design of buildings? How quickly can we begin to move towards carbon neutrality in Bratislava? What ways and tools shall be used?
We live in a time when it is necessary for the profession of architect to act more responsible than ever – to act responsibly towards yourself and others. The boundary between architecture and urbanism is disappearing, the architect’s work and design must be based on relevant resources and robust research.
The solved area will be the wider center of the Old Town Bratislava. Architecture assignments will be focused on finding solutions for adaptations of existing buildings and urban planning assignments will be focused on sustainable strategies for public spaces and the overall development of the zone.
Information about the program can be found on Facebook
Operation of the Studio:
- Emphasis on working with context and environment:
- Links and relations between the studied area and other parts of the city, role of the studied area in the city system (in the agglomeration area of Bratislava)
- Territorial context, linking to centres, center – quarter relation (neighborhood)
- Connection between the area and its environment
- Emphasis on a teamwork: team management and teamwork from the perspective of different positions in the team as the basis of real architectural practice – consultations with experts and professionals, focused on increasing student’s ecological awareness, application of sustainable principles to architectural and urban design
- Emphasis on professional and personal development of studio graduates in terms of:
- A mature professional with an opinion on the future and an effort to solve current challenges/problems, able to think conceptually, create a sustainable environment for people,
- Responsible action towards yourself and others – the basic determinant of chance of thinking and creation is user behaviour
- Activities and aims of Bratislava in the field of adaptation to climate change: Ingrid Konrad
- Climate change – adaptation measures, examples of good practice: Eva Streberová
- Examples of good practice and existing implemented adaptation measures. Solar urbanism: theory + realization examples: Ján Legény, Peter Morgenstein
- Participative creation and methods of data collection: Zora Pauliniová
- group: students will present each other and comment on their work in the form of quick presentation, at regular interval
- individually: will be runned once a week, students are guided to work in the studio for the whole duration as specified in the schedule